Views

Friday, March 30, 2012

Which players should Arsenal sell with this summer?

So, who exactly makes up Arsenal's deadwood™: by TS
It is accepted by almost all Arsenal fans that there is deadwood in our team that needs sorting out in order to free up space – both financially and in terms of squad size – for new, more useful signings.
In my opinion, Squillaci, Almunia, Bendtner and Denilson are all universally accepted as deadwood.
I may also have to say that Park should go. Many shall point to the goal against Bolton as evidence of potential, but I really can't see why he hasn't been given more chances so far this season if he truly is a quality player (he has made only 6 appearances all season, and many of them were cameos). And while I hope that I am proved wrong by the South Korean captain, at the moment, I don't think that he is fulfilling much purpose.
In addition, I think that Vela too must step out. My verdict on him was a tough one as he has, no doubt, shown finishing ability and makes intelligent runs. But I can't really see him stepping in and playing up top very effectively. So that means that he would have to play on the wings and, in many other teams, he could. But in this particular side, he would have to battle his way past Theo, the Ox, Gervinho and possibly Miyaichi to get an appearance. Surely, it would be as good for the Vela as for us if he moved on to a different club?
And I think that thats about it in terms of who should leave. There are some who may appear in other peoples list like Diaby, Djourou and Arshavin, who I still think can contribute to the club. I think that if Arshavin can come back from Zenit with some inspiration, he could give our team an extra spark next season. Diaby, in my opinion, is a real force when uninjured, and remember that he is only 25, so has plenty of time to regain his top form!
Finally, Djourou. Now, I have been his biggest critic in the past and, I think, justifiably so. He is often far too gung-ho in his play and sometimes doesn't do the simple things well. That said, I realise that he is actually decent player of the ball and has composure on the pitch which is borne out of natural confidence, which can be an admirable trait. So, if he can iron out the odd disastrous mistake, I am willing to give him another chance next season.
So that brings me to my conclusion. My deadwood list is:
Almunia
Squillaci
Denilson
Park
Bendtner
Vela

No comments: